Effective Date: February 25, 2013. Last Modified: March 24, 2016.
These Terms and Conditions of Use apply to you when you view, access, or otherwise use the blog located at http://www.ofpoliticsandmen.org/ (“Of Politics and Men”, “Site”, “we”, “us”, or “our”). Of Politics and Men grants you a nonexclusive, nontransferable, limited right to access, use and display the Site and the materials provide hereon, provided that you fully comply with these Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to these terms and conditions, please do not use this web site.
- Editorial Values
- Copyright Notice
- Copyright Notification
- Commercial Use of Of Politics and Men‘s Materials
- Comment Policy
- Links to Other Websites and/or Materials
- Advertising Policy
- Modification of Terms and Conditions of Use
- Applicable Law; Jurisdiction
- No Waiver
1. EDITORIAL VALUES (back to top)
Our readers are at the heart of everything we do. We are committed to giving them high-quality, original and challenging output. Creativity is the lifeblood of our organization. Equally, we must give our readers content made to the highest editorial and ethical standards. Their trust depends on it. We must therefore balance our presumption of freedom of expression with our responsibilities to be fair, to avoid unjustifiable offense and to provide appropriate protection for our readers from harm. We seek to uphold Of Politics and Men’s Editorial Values in all we do. They embody our freedoms and responsibilities and, like the Editorial Guidelines, apply to all our content. What follows are challenging requirements, but they are essential to everything we do.
- Trust. Trust is the foundation of Of Politics and Men. We are independent, impartial and honest. We are committed to achieving the highest standards of due accuracy and impartiality and strive to avoid knowingly and materially misleading our readers.
- Truth and Accuracy. We seek to establish the truth of what has happened and are committed to achieving due accuracy in all our output. Accuracy is not simply a matter of getting facts right; when necessary, we will weigh relevant facts and information to get at the truth. Our output will be well-sourced, based on sound evidence, thoroughly tested and presented in clear, precise language. We will strive to be honest and open about what we don’t know and avoid unfounded speculation.
- Impartiality. Impartiality lies at the core of Of Politics and Men’s commitment to its readers. We will apply due impartiality to all our subject matter and will reflect a breadth and diversity of opinion across our output as a whole, over an appropriate period, so that no significant strand of thought is knowingly unreflected or under-represented. We will be fair and open-minded when examining evidence and weighing material facts.
- Editorial Integrity and Independence. Of Politics and Men is independent of outside interests and arrangements that could undermine our editorial integrity. Our readers should be confident that our decisions are not influenced by outside interests, political or commercial pressures, or any personal interests.
- Harm and Offense. We aim to reflect the world as it is, including all aspects of the human experience and the realities of the natural world. But we balance our right to broadcast innovative and challenging content with our responsibility to protect the vulnerable from harm and avoid unjustifiable offense. We will be sensitive to, and keep in touch with, generally accepted standards as well as our readers’ expectations of our content, particularity in relation to the protection of children.
- Serve the Public Interest. We seek to report stories of significance to our readers. We will be rigorous in establishing the truth of the story and well informed when explaining it. Our expertise will bring authority and analysis to the complex world in which we live. We will ask searching questions of those who hold public office and others who are accountable, and provide a comprehensive forum for public debate.
- Fairness. Our output will be based on fairness, openness, honesty and straight dealing. Contributors and readers will be treated with respect.
- Children. We will always seek to safeguard the welfare of children and young people who contribute to and feature in our content. We will preserve their right to speak out and participate, while ensuring their dignity and their physical and emotional welfare is protected during the marking and broadcast of our output. Content which might be unsuitable for children will be scheduled appropriately.
- Transparency. We will be transparent about the nature and provenance of the content we offer online. Where appropriate, we will identify who has created it and will use labeling to help online users make informed decisions about the suitability of content for themselves and their children.
- Accountability. We are accountable to our readers and will deal fairly and openly with them. Their continuing trust in Of Politics and Men is a crucial part of our relationships with them. We will be open in acknowledging mistakes when they are made and encourage a culture of willingness to learn from them.
2. COPYRIGHT NOTICE (back to top)
Be advised that copyright notice is no longer necessary for a work to be protected under copyright law. For any work published after March 1, 1989 (which includes every article on Of Politics and Men), the copyright notice is merely optional.
The contents of this site are meant to encourage discussion, and I am not in the business of zealously protecting my own work. But I do believe that credit must be given where it is due. As such, unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Of Politics and Men is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Vox Vocis and Of Politics and Men with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. The attribution must not be such so as to suggest that Of Politics and Men endorses you or the use of the work. Note: This Copyright Notice does not in any way affect fair dealing or fair use rights, or the rights that other persons may have in the work itself or how the work is used (e.g., publicity or privacy rights).
3. COPYRIGHT NOTIFICATION (back to top)
Pursuant to 17 U.S.C. Section 512, Of Politics and Men has implemented procedures for receiving notification of claimed copyright infringement and for processing such claims in accordance with the law. If you believe your work has been used in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please send Of Politics and Men a notification of claimed infringement. The notification must contain all of the following information:
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyright works are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works;
- Identification of the claimed infringing material and information reasonably sufficient to permit Of Politics and Men to locate the material on the Site;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit Of Politics and Men to contact you, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an e-mail address;
- A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
- A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notification is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf; and
- Your physical or electronic signature.
Please provide Of Politics and Men with a notice (“Notice of Infringement) that contains all of the above enumerated information. You may submit a Notice of Infringement to Of Politics and Men, or, you can visit this page and fill out our form.
Finally, a warning: If you knowingly make a false statement in your claim of copyright infringement, then you may be subject to liability for damages and heavy civil penalties. If you’re not sure whether material on this Site infringes your copyright, then you should speak with a lawyer before notifying us. By submitting a Notice of Infringement, you acknowledge and agree that Of Politics and Men may forward your Notice of Infringement and any related communications to any users who posted the material identified in such notice.
4. COMMERCIAL USE OF OF POLITICS AND MEN‘S MATERIALS(back to top)
You may not use the materials on Of Politics and Men for commercial purposes. The conditions of this License, however, can be waived if you receive the express written consent of Of Politics and Men. To obtain such permission, email Of Politics and Men and provide all of the following information in the body of the email correspondence:
- The content you wish to use;
- Where, when and how it will be used (e.g., a seminar, newsletter or news article);
- Where and how copies will be distributed and to what audience;
- How many copies will be produced and distributed;
- What other materials will be associated with the content; and
- Your name, title, company, address, email address and phone number.
Of Politics and Men will evaluate and respond to your request as soon as possible.
- Cookies. Some of the advertisements you see on the Site are selected and delivered by third parties, such as ad networks, advertising agencies, advertisers, and audience segment providers. These third parties may collect information about you or your online activities, either on the Site or on other websites, through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies in an effort to understand your interests and deliver to you advertisements that are tailored to your interests.
- User Options for Cookie Management. Of Politics and Men does not have access to, or control over, the information these third parties may collect. However, while most web browsers accept cookies by default, they can be set to reject cookies, either from all websites or from specific sites. You can also manually delete cookies from your web browser. For example, Google uses the DoubleClick cookie for interest-based advertising. You can opt out of the use of the DoubleClick cookie by visiting Google’s Ads Preferences Manager.
- Newsletter Policy. If you wish to subscribe to our newsletter(s), we will use your name and email address to send the newsletter to you. Out of respect for your privacy, you may choose to stop receiving our newsletter or marketing emails by following the unsubscribe instructions included in these emails, or you can contact us at ofpoliticsandmen [at] gmail [dot] com.
- Comment Policy. By submitting comments to the Site, you are consenting to their display and publication. The full Comment Policy applicable to your interactions on Of Politics and Men is detailed in Section 6 below.
- Public Areas. Please be advised that, whenever you voluntarily post information to any community or interactive areas of the Site, such information can and may be accessed by the general public.
- Children’s Privacy Statement. Of Politics and Men does not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13. To protect their privacy, we prohibit the solicitation of personal information from these children. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received Personal Information from a child under the age of 13, we will delete such information from our records.
6. COMMENT POLICY (back to top)
Of Politics and Men promotes a civil society where ideas and debates flourish. However, all comments are subject to approval and moderation.
By submitting content, you are consenting to these rules:
- Inappropriate Content. You agree not to submit inappropriate content. Inappropriate content includes any content that: infringes upon or violates the copyrights, trademarks or other intellectual property rights of any person; is libelous or defamatory; is obscene, pornographic, sexually explicit, or vulgar; violates a person’s right to privacy; violates any local, state, national, or international law; contains of advocates illegal or violent acts; degrades others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, or other classification; is predatory, hateful, or intended to intimidate or harass, or contains derogatory name-calling; contains advertising; contains a solicitation of any kind; misrepresents your identity or affiliation; impersonates others; is in poor taste or is otherwise objectionable.
- User Responsibility for Content. You will promptly remove any content that you have posted should you discover that it violates these rules or that it is otherwise inappropriate. You will indemnify Of Politics and Men from and against losses, expenses, damages, and costs, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, resulting from any claim brought by any third party relating to content you have posted.
- Removal of User Content. You further understand that we have the right, but not the obligation, to monitor submissions and we may remove content that we deem inappropriate for any reason whatsoever without consent. We further reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to remove a user’s privilege to post content on our site. We may reject or remove any comment at any time, with or without notice to you.
- Age Certification. You certify that you are at least 13 years of age. If you are under the age of 13, please do not submit any content to us. If you are under the age of 18 but at least 13 years of age, you may submit content only with the permission of, and under the supervision of, a parent or legal guardian. If you are a parent or legal guardian agreeing to these rules for the benefit of an individual between the ages of 13 and 18, please be advised that you are fully responsible for his or her submissions and any legal liability that he or she may incur.
- Permissions. You certify that you have the permission of others who have contributed to or are featured in any content that you submit. If there are any individuals under the age of 18 in any photos, video, or other content that you submit, you must obtain the permission of each such individual’s parent or legal guardian prior to submitting the content.
- Use At Your Own Risk. You acknowledge and agree that any use and/or reliance on any information obtained through the interactive forums is at your own risk. We are not in any manner endorsing the content of the interactive forums and cannot and will not vouch for its reliability.
- License to Of Politics and Men. For any content that you submit, you give us permission to use such content. You hereby grant Of Politics and Men a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, exclusive, and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, incorporate into other works, distribute, perform, display, and otherwise exploit such content, in whole or in part in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.
7. LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES AND/OR MATERIALS (back to top)
Links to other websites and/or materials that appear on Of Politics and Men are provided solely as a courtesy to our readers. Of Politics and Men has no control over the linked sites or the materials, information, goods or services available or contained on these linked sites. Of Politics and Men is not responsible for and does not endorse or warrant in any way any materials, information, goods or services available through such linked sites or any privacy or other practices of such sites. If you decide to access any of the linked sites, you do so entirely at your own risk. Of Politics and Men reserves the right to terminate any link at any time, without notification.
8. ADVERTISING POLICY (back to top)
Of Politics and Men is committed to being highly responsible in our approach to advertising and the advertisers we allow on the Site. Rest assured, maintaining the quality of the content on Of Politics and Men will always be our first priority. As such, Of Politics and Men will strive to ensure that ads are safe, unobtrusive and as relevant as possible.
- Disclaimer: Amazon Associates Program. Of Politics and Men is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com (“Amazon”). Customers who buy products through the Program are customers of Amazon with respect to all activities they undertake in connection with the Amazon Site. Accordingly, all pricing, terms of sale, rules, policies and operating procedures concerning customer orders, customer service, and product sales set forth on the Amazon Site will apply to those customers, and Amazon reserves the right to change them at any time. The complete Associates Program Operating Agreement can be accessed here on Amazon.
- Disclaimer: StudioPress Affiliate Program. Of Politics and Men is proudly powered by the Genesis Framework and is a participant in StudioPress’ Affiliate Program. Per StudioPress: “The Genesis Framework empowers you to quickly and easily build incredible websites with WordPress. Whether you’re a novice or advanced developer, Genesis provides the secure and search-engine-optimized foundation that takes WordPress to places you never thought it could go.” The StudioPress Affiliate Program permits sites, like Of Politics and Men, to make money by referring customers to the StudioPress Website. Each time a customer is referred to StudioPress and that customer makes a purchase, Of Politics and Men receives a commission. Customers who buy products through the Program are customers of StudioPress with respect to all activities they undertake in connection with StudioPress. Of Politics and Men is not sponsored by StudioPress or Copyblogger Media LLC. StudioPress and the Genesis Framework are registered trademarks of their respective owners.
9. MODIFICATION OF TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE (back to top)
Of Politics and Men reserves the right to revise these Terms and Conditions of Use at any time. Any such changes will be posted on this page. If we make significant or material changes to these Terms and Conditions of Use (such as changes in the way we use your Personal Information), these changes will be posted on this page thirty (30) days prior to taking effect, an announcement will be made on the home page, and visitors who have subscribed by email will be notified via email. Your continued use of the Site constitutes your agreement to comply with such revisions.
10. APPLICABLE LAW; JURISDICTION (back to top)
These Terms and Conditions of Use and any disputes arising under or related to these Terms and Conditions of Use (whether for breach of contract, tortious conduct or otherwise) will be governed by the laws of the State of Virginia, without reference to its conflicts of law principles. Any legal actions, suits or proceedings arising out of these Terms and Conditions of Use (whether for breach of contract, tortious conduct or otherwise) will be brought exclusively in the state courts of Virginia or the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, and you hereby accept and submit to the personal jurisdiction of these Virginia courts with respect to any legal actions, suits or proceedings arising out of these Terms and Conditions of Use. You also waive to the fullest extent permitted by law any right to a trial by jury in any action, suit or proceeding brought to enforce, defend or interpret any right or remedies under, arising in connection with, or relating to, these Terms and Conditions of Use.
11. NO WAIVER (back to top)
No failure on the part of Of Politics and Men to enforce any part of these Terms and Conditions of Use shall constitute a waiver of any of Of Politics and Men‘s rights under these Terms and Conditions of Use whether for past or future actions on the part of any person. Neither the receipt of any funds by Of Politics and Men nor the reliance of any person on Of Politics and Men‘s actions shall be deemed to constitute a waiver of any part of these Terms and Conditions of Use. Only a specific, written waiver signed by an authorized representative of Of Politics and Men shall have any legal effect whatsoever.
12. SEVERABILITY (back to top)
If any provision of these Terms and Conditions of Use shall be found to be unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed severable from these Terms and Conditions of Use and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.
Congratulations! You’ve reached the end. Thanks for taking the time to learn about Of Politics and Men‘s policies.